Well written Ministerial briefings will help to get your message across and enable the development of robust policy. This course will cover drafting effective briefings to Ministers, so the recommendations for action are clear. It will also cover writing on behalf of Ministers through Cabinet papers.
Who should attend:
This course benefits anyone in the state sector who is required to write Ministerial briefings as part of their day-to-day job especially those in policy, operational policy and advisory roles.
- Identify the common and distinct features of good writing for Ministers for different purposes
- Review and understand Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet (DPMC) Cabinet paper requirements and the ‘Quality Standards for written policy advice’
- Understand the skills required to write effectively for Ministers and which you need to develop
- Apply those skills to Ministerial briefings and Cabinet papers.
- What does good writing for Ministers look like for different purposes?
- Review examples - dos and don’ts
- Overview of ‘The Policy Quality Framework: Quality Standards for written policy’ (The Policy Project)
- Overview of DPMC requirements and process for writing Cabinet papers
- Commonalities and differences between the process and features of Cabinet papers and Ministerial briefings
- Understanding and mastering the writing skills that generate effective writing
- Worked example with feedback (either a Cabinet paper or a Ministerial briefing)
Maximum 12 participants.
All of the activities will be delivered in a workshop format, full participation is required to achieve the best possible outcomes from this course.
Course materials that will be supplied to take away:
- Process checklist for Cabinet papers
- Worked example with feedback
- Collateral and outputs from all of the workshop exercises
If you would like more information about this programme, please contact us on:
Ph: 64 4 463 6556 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Victoria Professional and Executive Development are able to customise many of our workshops to meet specific individual or organisational requirements. Please contact us for further information.