This workshop introduces you to modern project management and provides you with useful frameworks and concepts. The emphasis is on ensuring that you can apply immediately what you learn from the workshop in your own organisation.
This highly interactive workshop takes a practical and realistic approach to project management. It also provides a basic framework of project management principles so that you can apply a structured approach to your projects. The course is independent of project management software.
Who should attend:
This course is designed for public and private sector managers who plan or manage projects and for project participants who need to make an effective contribution to projects. It is suitable for those with or without previous project experience.
Is Project Management Level 1 for you?
Skills: Do I need to develop skills in most of the following areas?
- create a project brief, terms of reference or project charter
- manage project stakeholders’ expectations
- establish project milestones and use a milestone chart
- build a project team and assess team performance
- identify project risks and establish a risk management plan
- structure a project using a project lifecycle
- logically sequence project activities, eg. network diagram
- create a project schedule with key review points
- create a project budget
- integrate project scope, resources, accountabilities, costs and deliverables.
Knowledge: Do I need to develop an understanding of the following areas?
- basic project management concepts and principles
- project management body of knowledge (framework)
- roles and responsibilities of project manager, project sponsor and project team members
- key questions to ask when initiating and planning a project
- jargon terms, eg. WBS, critical path, float, work packages.
The following topics may be covered depending on group priorities. Resources are provided on all topics.
- Project life cycle
- Project managers' tool kit
- Project success measures
- Project brief
- Project scheduling
- Project scoping techniques
- Risk management and analysis
- Risk mitigation plans
- Dealing with difficult people
- Establishing baselines
- Key review points
- Stage gate criteria
- Estimating project resources
- Project budgets
- Milestone charts
- Work breakdown structure
- Project team performance measures
- Project close out and handover.
The workshop is highly interactive to enable you to benefit from the experience of the other participants and the presenter. Hands-on exercises will develop your practical skills to ensure that you can apply immediately what you learn from the workshop in your own organisation. Participants will work in project teams on projects of their own choosing. You will receive extensive resource materials to take away.
If you would like more information about this programme, please contact us on:
Ph: 64 4 463 6556 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Victoria Professional and Executive Development are able to customise many of our workshops to meet specific individual or organisational requirements. Please contact us for further information.