This two-day course provides an extended introduction to design thinking, and its relevance to business and the public sector. It is a glimpse into the world of design and the three parts of design thinking: process, methods and mindset.
Design thinking (or service design), is a human-centered approach that aids organisations to solve their most complex challenges to create positive customer experiences.
This two-day course provides an extended introduction to design thinking, and its relevance to business and the public sector. It is a glimpse into the world of design and the three parts of design thinking: process, methods and mindset. This course emphasises those three parts of design thinking in approaching complex problem and creating successful outcomes.
Who should attend:
This course is suitable for both returning students from the single day course and people new to design thinking. Exercises and activities are different from the single day course. Ideal for those who want to explore using design thinking and service design, at any level within an organisation.
- Identify the key elements of design thinking and service design - including process, methods and mindset.
- Understand the importance of and embody the design mindset(s).
- Discuss common methods employed by designers and learn how to apply them to your organisation.
- Experience a design process and an iterative approach to learning.
- Link design thinking back to your role and organisation.
The first day is split into six sections:
- Mini design exercise - appropriate for those who do not consider themselves practitioners. Through this exercise we highlight the fundamental elements of the design process.
- Process - we start the day (proper) by looking at the process, what is it and the theory behind it.
- Mindsets - the crux of the day, we explore design’s secret ingredient. “It’s not what you do but how you do it that’s important.” We wrap the mindsets up in activities and tools that you’ll be able to take back to your organisation.
- Your organisation - we spend time understanding how these learnings can be taken back to your organisation.
- Design exercise - apply the day’s learnings in one final design activity.
- Wrap - share learnings and create action points to solidify learning.
The second day is split into six sections:
- Design brief to the day’s exercise - A warm up to a project and a brief overview of the process and methods we’ll cover, while incorporating the design mindsets.
- Process Stage 1 - Theory and lecture around understanding the business context. Including an introduction to the methods we use.
- Process Stage 2 - Hands-on activity to understand the customer context. Now its your turn to gather and immerse yourself into customers lives and make sense of information using design methodologies.
- Process Stage 3 - Hands-on activity to respond to business and customer contexts. Prototyping methods included. Lecture on applying the methods and mindsets in your organisation.
- Presenting Projects - Bringing it all back together. Storytelling methods included.
- Wrap (Notes to Process Stage 4) - Share learnings and create action points to solidify learning.
This course is hands-on and fully immersive. Expect a mix of activities to enable you to learn-by-doing that are complemented with academic rigor and grounded in business reality.
The course is capped at 16 participants and will consist of individual, pair, and small group work interspersed with presentations and large group discussions guided by two lecturers/facilitators.
Full catering (lunch and breaks) is provided to allow for continued discussion and networking among participants.
“Great facilitation. I thought presenters created content and the theory practise balance just right.”
"It was a great day and I really felt like I had some practical tools to take away and start using. I think people will be really engaged in this approach and it will allow us to build on our initial thinking.”
If you would like more information about this programme, please contact us on:
Ph: 64 4 463 6556 Email: email@example.com
Victoria Professional and Executive Development are able to customise many of our workshops to meet specific individual or organisational requirements. Please contact us for further information.